All new details about Disney’s soon-to-be-opened Star Wars hotel and resort were shared Sunday live from D23 Expo 2019 by Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, and Ann Morrow Johnson, executive producer and creative director for Walt Disney Imagineering.
The resort is called Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser and will offer a two-night itinerary where all guests arrive and depart together, similar to Disney Cruise Line. Unlike any typical cruise, though, visitors will be able to become the hero of their own Star Wars story in a new type of immersive, interactive fiction experience.
We don’t know story details, we do know that the story will be somewhat scripted, and designed as more of a fully immersive choose-your-own-adventure style of Star Wars tale, so you can actually influence the outcome of your own journey on the ship.
Here’s what we do know:
You will cruise the galaxy in style aboard the Halcyon, known for its impeccable service and exotic destinations.
Onboard the starcruiser, you will get all the creature comforts you might expect including cabins, dining, but throughout “the journey”, you will be invited to delve deeper into a personal adventure by participating in onboard activities, interacting with characters, crew, other passengers you meet, and becoming part of some broader Star Wars action:
Here’s how it works:
- Your adventure begins when you arrive at the Galactic Starcruiser Terminal where you will be invited to enter a Launch Pod for transport into space.
- Through windows, you’ll see yourself leave the real world behind as you jump to hyperspace and draw closer and closer to the Halcyon.
- When the Launch Pod docks with the Halcyon and the airlock opens, you will step into the ship’s main deck Atrium to begin your journey through a galaxy far, far away.
- A visit aboard the Halcyon becomes a multi-day story that interweaves with members of the crew, other passengers, familiar Star Wars characters, and an excursion to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
The all-immersive experience also features entertaining activities, such as:
- Wielding a lightsaber while facing off against a training remote, where you may discover your own connection with the Force.
Visitors will also be able to visit the ship’s bridge to learn about navigation, defense, and all the ship’s systems, or just explore the ship and see what secrets they can uncover.
Facts About Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser
- Every window in the Halcyon – including those in each cabin – has a view of the galaxy beyond, with ever-changing vistas as the ship progresses from place to place.
- You’ll be able to explore the Halcyon and perhaps discover hidden spaces deep in the mechanics of the ship – perfect for uncovering secrets … or holding secret meetings.
- Choices you make during your adventure will help determine how your Star Wars story progresses.
Our sci-fi text adventure The Pulse is out now.
StoryFix Media produces interactive fiction games and novels. Our novels New Horizons and The Blue Moon are available now.