The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) recently announced the finalists for the 2018 Nebula Awards along with news that – for the first time – the awards would be honoring game writers in a new “Game Writing” category.
Turns out this should be a cause for celebration among Interactive Fiction developers and writers as Choice of Games garnered the most nominations of the lot with three out of the five.
The only AAA game honored was God of War.
But the nominee that stands out most might be Charlie Brooker, who is nominated for his recent interactive Black Mirror: Bandersnatch episode rather than for, say, the Ray Bradbury Award where we generally see film and television writing honored.
Neblua Game Writing Nominees Include:
- Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, Charlie Brooker (House of Tomorrow & Netflix)
- The Road to Canterbury, Kate Heartfield (Choice of Games)
- God of War, Matt Sophos, Richard Zangrande Gaubert, Cory Barlog, Orion Walker, and Adam Dolin (Santa Monica Studio/Sony/Interactive Entertainment)
- Rent-A-Vice, Natalia Theodoridou (Choice of Games)
- The Martian Job, M. Darusha Wehm (Choice of Games)
The winners will be announced at SFWA’s 54th annual Nebula Conference in Los Angeles, CA, which takes place from Thursday, May 16th through Sunday, May 19th at the Marriott Warner Center in Woodland Hills, CA.
Congrats to all those nominated!